Friday 9 April 2010

Review: The Saboteur

Pandemic, the developers of The Saboteur, were one of the unlucky companies that has had to shut it's doors, and in this case before their product had even shipped to stores. I liked the look of the game from what little I had seen, and when I had it as one of the choices in my elite bundle it was difficult not to choose it.

I'm glad that I did take the chance and pick this game as I really enjoyed playing it. The game is set in Nazi occupied Paris, you play as the Irish rogue Sean Devlin, a mechanic caught up in the occupation after a visit to a motor sport race in Germany. You then join the French resistance and help in liberating Paris from the Nazis. 

In my opinion the game plays like Assassin's Creed crossed with GTA. you can run from roof top to roof top and then fall to the floor and then blast a Nazi in the face with a shotgun.

Overall the game works really well, but there were a couple of things that bugged me with it though. The game gives you "free-play events" which are much like the races and delivery tasks in Assassin's Creed 2 however I did feel that there were too many of these. Also during the game when you died you're spawned at the closest hideout, unfortunately once the main story is finished you only spawn at the first one.

I did like the awards system that allowed you to unlock other abilities and weapons and cars. Speaking of cars you can collect cars and take them back to a resistance garage and you could then keep them, I felt this could have worked with the weapons as well. I also liked the artistic style that had areas that haven't been liberated were in black and white, while areas that have been liberated were in colour.

Overall I recommend this game if you liked Assassins Creed or GTA, although I personally didn't like GTA IV, otherwise try it if you looking for something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment